Melodies of Life: The Layers of Harmony

Alone for a while I've been searching through the dark, for traces of the love you left inside my lonely heart. To weave by picking up the pieces that remain, melodies of life-love's lost refrain.

- Melodies of Life by Nobuo Uematsu from Final Fantasy IX

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binondo, Manila, Philippines

Want to know me better? Visit my blog on Friendster! http://splgum.blogs.friendster.com/melodies_of_life/

Monday, June 12, 2006

Technological Trailblazers

Technological Trailblazers

I'm in a hurry to do my homework, so I'll try to keep this post "short."

I woke up this morning and stumbled upon the greatest shock in my whole life. Not only was Microsoft releasing its newest operating system Windows Vista (formerly codenamed Longhorn) the next, or perhaps this year, I discovered that it has already released a Microsoft Office 2007 beta 2. Knowing me, I'd immediately download it.

How did I arrive at the Microsoft website? Simple. Being the group leader of our INTRICT group 2, I thought that it was about time we sprang into action. I went to Microsoft.com to look for some interesting templates to use on our presentation, and walla! I arrived at this great discovery.

Thanks to DSL connection at home, I was quickly able to download the Windows Media Player 11 also available at the site. Installation took a lot of time. I figured out that it was best if I let it install by itself when I was gone...

It was three-thirty. My mom was waiting for me downstairs, as well as my friend Joanie. We were late for the special gospel meeting held at our church. Off we went!

~~~
Special Gospel Meeting (3:30 - 5:30 PM)
~~~

It was late, and we had to go to SM MoA. We got lost again, but I steered us to the right direction. I wondered how easier maneuvering would be when we have a navigator attached to our car...

My INTRICT professor told us that driving was really fun in the United States, especially if you have a navigator attached to your car. When you want to go to a specific location, just tell it to the navigator and it would compute for the shortest route for you to travel. Best of all, navigators talk! Don't be surprised if it tells you, "You've arrived!"

It was the first time we parked inside the mall.

My mom went to the comfort room. Joanie was so excited that she went to Tom's Playhouse. I followed her and we explored the area. We returned and, together with my mom, went to the main mall.

Finally, I was free to do the one thing I wanted to do for 7 years.

Whenever we visit SM MegaMall, I always shared to my parents my interest in ice skating. My dad, wouldn't allow me because he heard that someone died because he / she slipped on the ice and broke his / her skull. Harumph! My dad and his conservative ideas

My mom, on the other hand, strongly encouraged me to take up the sport. She wanted to enroll me in ice skating lessons but just couldn't do so because of my father's intervention.

Now that my father is in the United States, I wanted to utilize this freedom properly. Without my father, I could do many things I couldn't do with him around. (Now don't you go thinking that I wanted him to be blotted out from my memory.) Finally, I was able to go ice skating.

I remember Joanie and Nicolo during our first trip in SM MoA. They wanted to visit the skating rink and skate. I told them it's impossible to do so with my father around. Sadly. they could only watch the skaters zoom around the arena. I feel sorry for them, and I wanted to make up for it...

I had to teach Joanie how to tie her shoe (or blade). We learned to balance on dry ground first. Sensing that balancing was as easy as balancing from a pogo stick, I led the way. Joanie caught me and wouldn't let go. We had to walk slowly...

Having been warned in Nikko's blog, we took extra precautionary measures upon entering the rink. (We were waiting for our coaches to guide us. We entered the rink so as not to waste time.) It was slippery. We needed the wall's support. Slowly, we circled the rink.

Halfway, we were surprised to see my acupuncturist (or my 'uncle') there. We said hi. Joanie asked him if Moses (her beloved) was there. He was!

We encountered some obstacles on our second half of 'skating.' Joanie almost slipped in the ice. Thank God she didn't, or else who knows what would happen?

After almost giving up on ice skating, we met our coaches. I don't know how well it was with Joanie, but I could say that I was a fast learner. Within minutes, I could already cross to the other side of the rink without falling over. I learned how to skate balkwards. My coach gave me a lot more tips.

I asked the coach about the falling 'snow.' He told me that it was just made of detergent powder. The 'blizzard' occurs every hour, he told me. To attract more visitors, I thought to myself.

Soon enough, our 30 minute lesson was over. I had to bid farewell to my coach and say hello again to Joanie. I asked her how well she did. She got irritated when she learned that I already know how to skate balkwards, her coach didn't teach her that. We skated for another 15 minutes, despite Joanie's bleeding foot.

"You should have taken a picture of me when I fell." Joanie said.
"Are you crazy? Why would you want people to laugh at you?" I asked her.

"It could become a priceless memory."

We, along with my uncle and company, ate dinner at Tang City Express located at the Foodcourt. Initially, I wanted to try out the restaurant I was raving about in my other blog (Melodies of Life), but circumstances have changed.

"Moses, Moses..." Joanie called out.
"Atsi Joanie a!" Moses said.
"Beautiful a di... and tall!" I blurted out.
"Hush!" Joanie commanded irritatingly.

After eating, we parted ways. Joanie and I went to Entertainment Mall and went to Q Power Station. I told her that we just ate.

"Let's not do some strenuous exercises first..."

I loaded my VIP Card with 50 pesos. (I just loaded it yesterday.)

We played one game of House of the Dead. She was 'annihilated,' and, without an ally, I followed soon afterward.

Onward to Dance Maniax 2nd Mix! I could clearly see that Joanie was improving. She was already able to do a 55 combo in Wild mode. Go for 100 next time!

My highest combo to count was a 617 combo that I was able to perform in Power Station in Rockwell. Hmmm... I try to make it reach 700 next time

I miss the times we played Dance Maniax with Stephanie, Shirlina, Nicolo, Nikko, and company. Let's meet sometime! See how I have improved! ^w^

After two games, Joanie loaded up my card with a 100 load. We played another time.

We went to TimeZone Arena and played Dance Dance Revolution (It has another name, I forgot.) Thrice, the first was a mistake. The second and third time, well, we did okay...

As we exited the place our eyes stumbled upon the motion simulating machine near the entrance.

"Wanna try?"

We looked at the price tag.

"No thanks."

We returned to Power Station and played one last game of Dance Maniax. Again, ending with the song "All My Love." I got my second S rank. Joanie miraculously performed a 51 combo. Nicolo, you better catch up. You won't want to lose to her... *w*

We hastily returned to the car because of various reasons. Joanie has to sleep early for her OrSem tomorrow morning. I still have a lot of homework. My mom, well, has a lot of sleeping to do...

I caught my last glimpse of SM Mall of Asia, the gentle sound of the crickets, the perfect symmetry of the globe...

It was a spectacular sight.

I returned home and was glad that my downloads were finally completed. I installed Microsoft Office 2007 Professional to my computer, and I could say, it looked great. Still needs some getting used to, I know, for its unique user interface...

Now I wonder... is it possible? To build a mall comparable (larger) to the size of SM Mall of Asia? To develop an operating system better than Microsoft? Maybe my dreams are too icarian? Then again...

If it is to be, it is up to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home