Melodies of Life: The Layers of Harmony

Alone for a while I've been searching through the dark, for traces of the love you left inside my lonely heart. To weave by picking up the pieces that remain, melodies of life-love's lost refrain.

- Melodies of Life by Nobuo Uematsu from Final Fantasy IX

My Photo
Name:
Location: Binondo, Manila, Philippines

Want to know me better? Visit my blog on Friendster! http://splgum.blogs.friendster.com/melodies_of_life/

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Friday Frenzy

Friday Frenzy

It was Friday once again. (It was hard to believe that we are already ending our third week of college life.)

I woke up at noon. Not long after my cousin's third son, who was born a day before the dreaded day, met his godfather (me). My grandmother said my godson had many attributes similar to mine, examples are his nose, his head, et cetera. After a while I left, bringing with me my treasured flute (so that I wouldn't regret anymore, don't ask me why).

I arrived at GUM & MUG after surviving an hour of teaching a side car driver how to go to Uno. I couldn't believe it! I really wanted to take out my flute and knock him out when he didn't even know where Binondo Circle, Reina Regente, or Abad Santos was. Pitiful...

I ate lunch. Afterwards, I spent my free time playing the flute (I'm finally improving!) and the piano.

I pondered over my dream, my dream of learning how to play (and master, hopefully) all the musical instruments in the world. Still a long, long way to go...

My mom drove me to Bambang station by 3 o'clock. I rode to Quirino station, as usual, and went to my classroom. As I went in, I was welcomed with various greetings, and this made me feel awkward.

"Oi, Mon!"
"Treisha, may kasama ka na!"
"Ai, di nakapink."
"Yahoo! Dumagdag na uli tayo!"
(and many more)

I scurried into my seat. I looked around. A lot were wearing pink clothing. I was wearing yellow. I then remembered, we were supposed to wear pink clothes on Friday, as requested by our block president (for unknown reasons). There were three people wearing yellow; I was one of them. 6 people were wearing black. A person wearing blue. Another wearing gray. Others were wearing white. The rest were in pink. I didn't care much.

Our professor arrived. We talked about storage devices and the system unit. One interesting thing I noted was the "outdatement" of the floppy disk. Optical disks (compact disks) can hold much more data compared to magnetic disks (floppy disks), and yet, they are much cheaper compared to the latter. I really abhor saving data onto floppy disks. I've had several experiences...

One time, I saved my precious data into a diskette from my computer at GUM & MUG (G&M). When I arrived home and inserted the disk into my floppy drive, an error occured. I tried slamming the disk to the floor to see if it would become functional again (It sometimes works, try it!), but alas, my efforts were futile.

This incident didn't just occur once in my life. It occured to me more than a dozen times already. This evidence proves that a magnetic disk's life span is generally shorter than that of an optical disk.

Our professor also told us to invest for a USB flash disk; we would be needing one for our many projects of INTRICT. Recalling back...

I remember myself two years back, my cousins from Taiwan went to the Philippines and would stay with us for a week or two. They brought in a lot of stuff; I was waiting for a gift. My uncle gave me as a present a USB flash drive (by that time it wasn't that popular yet), hoping to ease my burden a bit.

The next day I went to school, showing off my gift to my classmates. They gazed in awe. They wanted to have one also.

I loved my flash disk. I utilized it properly, transferring huge amounts of data from this computer to that. Songs from my computer to Joanie's and Nikko's. Manga from Joanie's computer to mine. Pictures from my other computer at G&M to the one at home. Oh, what a glorious history it had.

One day, in our computer class at school, I decided to download a file (it was large, and DSL subsciptions still cost about 2000 pesos) and transfer it home using my flash disk. As soon as I inserted the storage medium to the USB port of the computer I was using, the monitor went blank. After a few seconds, an acrid smell of burning rubber filled the room. I quickly detatched my flash disk and put the medium into my pocket, acting as if nothing happened. The whole class went into a commotion. "What's that pungent smell?" Many left the room afterwards.

My heart felt that it was stabbed with a thousand nails as soon as I found out that the chip inside was burned to a crisp. I tried inserting it into my computer, but it just wouldn't work. From that day onwards, I had a trauma of inserting storage media into any of the school's computers.

After a year, when MP3 players were becoming the fad, I acquired an iPod Shuffle from my dad. He asked me why I didn't want the bulkier iPods. I told him that I wanted to use the iPod Shuffle as a flash disk. He willingly agreed.

That was the history of my iPod Shuffle. Moving on...

Classes were dismissed. I went back to G&M and visited my rabbits. I loved Van, the brown one who looks like an import from the States. Congo, initially Joanie's rabbit, had block spots in its body. Beet, on the other hand, looked like Van and Congo combined. (Did the name sound familiar? Aside from Congo, it's Ludwig Van Beet[hoven]. I was taking care of a rabbit named Ludwig before...)

I went home, Nicolo came afterwards. We went to Pineapple, my other home. On the way, I shared about my newfound friends, my professors, my test, and my experiences in college. He, on the other hand, shared with me his interest of entering college life.

We arrived at our destination. The first thing I did was to play my favorite piece on the antique brite piano located at the ground floor of our house. The next thing I knew was that I was already upstairs, watching Nicolo pogo jump.

I was the eldest among my cousins in my mother's family; on my father's side, I was the second youngest. (Thanks for pointing out my mistake.) Nikki and his younger brother were the only cousins of mine who were present, and before long, we were playing Mario Party 5 and 6 with her. It was a shame that Joanie weren't able to join us a while ago.

We left. After driving Nicolo to his house and arriving home, I made some great discoveries...

1. Shirlina had a blog of her own.
2. Chapter 3 of The Chronicles was already saved as a draft copy; however, Nikko decided to add spice to his story. Come on...
3. I made a mistake in my post "Kickin' My Style." We didn't have classes this coming Monday.
4. I needed to get started working on my two projects.
5. It is already two in the morning and I have to go to sleep. Good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home